SIEMENS & HALSKE laid the foundation stone for capacitor production in Gera in 1938. During WW2 the factory had grown to become the central location of SIEMENS production. In the GDR, the company was nationalized and expanded to become the leading capacitor manufacturer in the entire Eastern Bloc. And even after the difficult years of changes in Eastern Germany, the privatized company has once again achieved one of the top positions among capacitor manufacturers in the world.
SIEMENS & HALSKE's Wernerwerk in Arnstadt opens a small factory for DC capacitors in Gera. Soon after production start in 1939, the small outpost quickly grows into the most important location of research, development and production for capacitors during World War II. By the end of the war, 95% of SIEMENS capacitor production has been concentrated here.
After the American troops have already taken some of the production equipment with them at the end of the war, the Soviet occupying forces dismantle the plant almost completely in two waves before nationalizing it in 1948. However, the new "Capacitor Works Gera" (later RFT VEB Elektronik Gera) soon grows back into the largest capacitor factory in what is then the Eastern Bloc.
The construction of the largest metallization center for dielectric materials within what was then the Eastern Bloc starts in Gera-Pforten. Although it was not expanded to the originally planned size as a result of the political upheavals at the end of the 1980s, this metallization center is still an essential building block for ELECTRONICON’s economic success.